Thursday, January 30, 2014

Pulau Hantu, Singapore - When I need my compressed air fix

Slightly less than a year ago, I did my first dive at Pulau Hantu. Also, the first time in 10 years since I've visited the island. I must say that I have a special place in my heart for it for many reasons. Back in JC, I did an kayaking expedition to the island, stayed a couple of nights, and it was quite an experience. The city girl that I am, my first time being absolutely disconnected from the urban city. No electricity, the only lights were the stars, and back then, there wasn't a refinery on the next island, or maybe I didn't see it.

10 years on, my first dive at Pulau Hantu. An absolute disaster. It's been known for bad visibility. When they said bad vis, I didn't know it meant that you couldn't see anything past a metre. I was using rental gear, no torch, and creating a mini sandstorm underwater. And on the second dive, I aborted half way. I couldn't really get my bouyancy right, and I just kept brushing against hydroids. Hydroids, are akin to the stings of sea jellies - yes, not jellyfish, they aren't fish. I had bubbles on my fingers for months. 

Call me a masochist, but I took up the challenge to go back. So far, I've done about 10 dives there, and I've seen lots of marine life - you just have to take a closer look. I've yet to see the seahorse, so I hope, I'll be able to find one in my next dives there. 








No comments:

Post a Comment